Sage essential oil: Clary & Dalmation.
Clary Sage oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the Salvia sclarea plant. This hardy, perennial, plant grows 2 to 3 feet tall and wide. It has large felted deciduous leaves with square shaped stems, covered in tiny hairs. It blooms colorful flowers of pink, white or pale blue in late Spring or early Summer. It grows well in full sun and in large containers. It's native to the north Mediterranean, north African and central Asia regions. Clary Sage has been used, historically, as a medicinal herb. Today it's grown for its essential oil.
The word "clary" originates from a Latin word "clarus" meaning "clear" or "bright". The word "salvia" originates from a Latin word "salvere" meaning "to be well" or "in good health".
In the Middle Ages, Clary Sage was nicknamed "clear eyes". It was used in preparations for treating eye conditions. Egyptians believed it could cure infertility. Greeks, Romans and Chinese believed it assured long life. German winemakers added it to inferior wines to make them taste more intoxicating.
Clary Sage essential oil is light, golden, in color. It has a thin to medium consistency and earthy, herbaceous, subtle, fruity scent. Clary Sage "Absolute" has a hint of peppermint and is sweeter than Clary Sage.
BENEFITS of CLARY SAGE - (Body)
- Reduce Fever
- Relieve PMS; cramps
- Induce Mental Alertness
- Relieve Hot Flashes/Night Sweats
- Antioxidants; combat free radicals
- Balance Hormones; activate estrogen
- Anti-spasmodic; relieve coughs, asthma, laryngitis
- Expectorant; loosen phlegm from lungs, relieve colds
- Laxative; stimulate intestines, relieve constipation
- Purify and Detox Blood; speed up toxin removal through sweating
BENEFITS of CLARY SAGE - (Skin)
- Reduce Cellulite
- Tones and Tightens
- Soothe Eczema and Psoriasis
- Cicatrisant; fade scars, marks and spots from acne, pox, boils or sores
* Do not expect instantaneous skin care improvements with Clary Sage or Common Sage oil. It may take three to six months to yield results. *
- Insecticidal (repel moths and ticks)
- Aromatherapy; (uplift, relax, calm mind)
- Alleviate stress, tension and exhaustion
- Shampoo for Oily to Normal Hair; (get rid of dandruff)
- Reduce hair loss; prevent thickening in membrane tissue surrounding hair follicle, creating hair loss.
CLARY SAGE USES: burners, vaporizers, massages,
baths, creams, soaps, lotions, shampoos and anti-aging skin care
Blends well with essential oils: juniper, lavender, geranium, sandalwood, jasmine, frankincense, ginger, rosewood, rosemary, hyssop, tea tree, lemongrass, lemon, orange and other citrus oils.
DALMATION SAGE - (Common Sage)
Dalmation Sage, (Common Sage), oil is steam distilled from the Salvia officinalis perennial, evergreen, shrub. It has woody stems, grayish-green leaves with white, pink, blue or purple flowers. This dwarf shrub grows approx. 2 feet tall and wide. It's native to the Mediterranean region.
Common Sage differs from Clary Sage chemically and aromatically, but it has similar benefits. It has
a strong herbaceous, fresh, fruity aroma. Its aroma can be bitter or biting. Do
not substitute Clary Sage for Common Sage or vice versa. Their aromas
are distinctly different.
Common Sage oil is clear in color with a thin consistency.
CAUTION! Common Sage is more likely to cause skin irritations than other essential oils.
Blends well with essential oils: bergamot, rosemary, mandarin, orange, grapefruit, lemon, lemongrass.
COMMON SAGE USES: perfumes, soaps, lotions, creams, candles, detergents, massages, cosmetics, deodorants, aromatherapy.
MAKING SOAP or HOMEMADE SHAMPOO
MAKING SOAP: Add bits of flaxseed meal in a goats milk soap recipe. Add lemongrass and sage essential oils. Cleanse, exfoliate and invigorate your skin after a hot day outside. This blend of ingredients makes a a nice body scrub soap.
MAKING HOMEMADE SHAMPOO: Add clary sage to shampoo for oily to normal hair. Get rid of dandruff. Remove build-up. Stimulate scalp. Cleanse. Add body, bounce and volume to hair. Lemongrass oil is a nice complimentary blend.
Looking for the right essential oil or soap making oil? Find it, now!
ESSENTIAL OIL WARNINGS
- Keep Sage essential oil away from babies, children and pets.
- Avoid ANY sage essential oil if you have any of the following conditions:
- Breast Cancer
- Skin Sensitivities
- High Blood Pressure
- High Risk of Breast Cancer
* Essential oils contain bioactive ingredients. This means they contain natural chemicals that interact with biological systems. They are potent chemicals and should be used with care. Never use large amounts of essential oils externally, or internally. Never use them straight. They must always be diluted in carrier oil, or soap, lotion, or other buffering agent. Finally, never use them without knowing what their bioactive compounds are known to do. *